Tooth loss at any age can have a negative effect on a patient's health and self-esteem. Several factors impact a person's risk for tooth loss, including:
- Improper or irregular flossing and brushing
- Avoiding regularly scheduled visits to the dentist for professional cleaning and examination
- Age and gender
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Health conditions such as high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, or gum disease
- Accidents, injuries, or extractions
The most obvious consequence of tooth loss is the cosmetic result. Patients with gaps in their teeth may be reluctant to smile. Other healthy functions, such as eating or speaking comfortably, are also diminished.
Gentle Dental Putney, serving patients from Putney, Roehampton, Twickenham, Fulham, Wandsworth, Richmond, Barnes, Wimbledon, Southfields, and surrounding areas, offers several options for patients who are experiencing moderate to severe tooth loss, such as:
- Dental implants
- Traditional, fibre, anterior, or adhesive bridges
- Full or partial dentures
Each patient's unique goals, expectations, severity of tooth loss, and overall health will determine which option is the most appropriate.
Benefits of dentures
Full dentures are false teeth that cover an entire arch of the gums where all the teeth are missing from extraction or loss. Partial dentures may be used to cover a series of gaps. The main benefits of dentures are:
- Rejuvenation of the patient's smile and self-esteem
- Restored fullness to the face. Tooth loss can cause the area around the mouth to cave in and sag
- Eating with comfort
- Renewed ability to speak clearly
Today's dentures are natural-looking and appealing prosthetic teeth. Dentures may be secured using suction or adhesives, or may be anchored to dental implants for added stability.
Our six doctors at Gentle Dental Putney have several areas of specialization. Our team offers a comprehensive array of professional dental care including prevention and treatment for gum disease, family and children's dentistry, sedation dentistry, cosmetic and restorative dentistry, emergency dentistry, and orthodontic treatments.
To find out which treatment for tooth loss may be right for you, schedule your appointment online or by calling us at 0208 780 2226. Gentle Dental Putney offers convenient evening and weekend appointments and is located at 30A Putney Hill, Putney, in London.
Back to Dentures Home Page